Monday, January 12, 2015

The Ladies Man - 2000

"The Ladies Man" - 2000
Dir. by Reginald Hudlin - 1 hr. 24 min.


Original Trailer

by Clayton Hollifield

Some movies aren't meant to be waxed eloquently about.  That's not to say that compliments aren't in order, but sometimes it's enough to just say that I liked something, I've watched it a number of times, and it serves as the comedic equivalent of comfort food.  "The Ladies Man" is like that.

Obligatory plot summary: Leon Phelps (Tim Meadows) is a radio DJ, who likes to love up women.  Some of which aren't single.  And because Leon has a one-track mind with no filter (and because this was about a decade before podcasting), he loses his job.  And there's a bunch of jilted husbands after Leon, led by Lance DeLune (Will Ferrell), who spends a good amount of time wearing a wrestling singlet.

Here are some of the things that I liked about "The Ladies Man."  Tim Meadows is funny.  Especially when offering to buy strange women in bars fish sandwiches.  Pina Colada butt lotion.  A houseboat called "The Skanktary."  Will Ferrell as an amateur wrestling enthusiast.  Did I mention Tim Meadows is really funny?  Especially when he gets to do an R-rated comedy.  Those chairs that look like a giant hand that you sit in.  Julianne Moore as a horny clown.  Yeah, you read that right.  And maybe most of all, Leon's poem:

"What Is Love?" by Leon Phelps

I dunno, man, I just like "The Ladies Man."  I've been troubled for years as to whether the title is punctuated correctly (I feel like "ladies" should be a possessive, and thus the title should read "The Ladies' Man"), but I have never been plagued by a lack of laughter when watching this film.  I know this is a pretty light review here, but at the same time, why flog a dead horse?  I like this movie, it's funny, and if you enjoyed Leon's poem, you might feel the same way.  Are more words necessary to get that across?

3 / 5 - TV

No comments:

Post a Comment